Wild Rice with Dried Cherries and Pecans
1 cup brown rice
½ cup wild rice
3 cups water
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil 2 1/2 tablespoons dried cherries (or cranberries) 2 apples, peeled and cut into small dice 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped pecans (or walnuts or sunflower seeds)
spices to taste: coriander, cumin, salt, pepper
1. Wash the rice in a strainer under running water until water is clear (*if you have time, soak rice overnight, to make it softer and more easily digestible).
2. Place both kinds of rice in a saucepot with 3 cups of water.
3. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until the rice is tender and fully fluffed, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Combine the rice in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
**I didn’t have pecans, so I used sunflower seeds instead. Also, this is a dirty little secret but … uh, well – I don’t prewash my grains either. I know! I probably should, but I’m lazy and I just don’t. My intestinal track is better for it, I’m sure. Or not.
Both my kids liked this. BONUS.
Recipe is from Jill Tanis via Christi Lehner both of which are Holistic Health Counselors.