There was a possible vacation in the works for Spring Break, demoted to a day trip away, demoted to Tourists In Your Own Town! hashtagexclamationpoint
(This may feel like deja-vu)
Today I’ll make the kids each a “passport”…
Places to see, things to do
on a cultural adventure in our backyard:
- Study Egyptians! (Embalm a chicken!) (Place to go: Library, grocery store)
- Holland Museum, take a step back in time.
- GR Public Museum, Planetarium show. Out of this world! (har har har)
- Frederick Meijer Gardens, butterfly’s!
- Host a High Tea – English style. (Places to go: Goodwill, costumes. Library, books/ideas)
- Adventures of Pippy and Huck! Spend the day navigating local trails, making maps, climbing trees.
- Big City Adventure. (Use public transit to get everywhere for one day, bikes too)
- Pick a country: make a flag! (Library or computer time for research, Home for art making)
- On the job: explore different options. Construction? Let’s build. Food industry? Let’s cook. Engineer? Let’s plan.
- Great Wall Of China: make eggrolls. (Jessica’s always been fascinated with China)
- Become an advocate: adopt a species, then raise awareness.
I’m sure I’ll add a few more ideas, less involved ones, or even small outings to a park or playdates. Not all of these ideas will make it into our passports but it’s fun to get the ideas flowing so we’re sure not to miss the many opportunities around us.
If you’re headed on vacation, tell us where! And have fun.